Sunday, September 25, 2011

Tones

pencil, A4

(February 2010)

Drawing of strips of paper stuck on a board, with light shining on it. Personally, I think that I cropped off too much of the paper strips, making it look really disconnected from the other paper strips. This made the work look "too little" and incomplete. I shouldn't have cropped off so much and filled up the paper more to make it look more complete and better.

pencil, A4

(February 2010)

Drawing of cloth showing draperies. I think I did well in blending the tones and it is much better as compared to the drawing of the strips of paper! However, I shouldn't have "zoomed in" so much because it made my composition look very simplified, and it is hard to tell that it is draperies. I should have "zoomed out" a little and include more draperies into this drawing to make it recognisable.

Flower, oil on canvas, B5

(March 2010)

It was my first time using oil painting so I had some slight difficulties in controlling the tones of the black, white and grey. I think it takes a little practice to be able to paint and create smooth and well-blended tones. I thought I did pretty well in blending the tones and making it look like smooth flower petals. However, I thought I could have added more whites in the painting to make it look more realistic and widen the tonality range.

No comments:

Post a Comment