Sunday, September 25, 2011

Black & white

We had to do pin-hole photography for our AEP SIA in Sec 2, and these are my shots!

This was my final photograph I decided to submit:

Write-up for this photograph:

This photograph of the school clock tower is taken from the view of the field. We usually have out PE lessons there and we run around the track to warm-up or have our 2.4km run. For those who hate PE lessons, they would look at the clock tower once in awhile to check the time as they can't wait for the lessons to be over.

I think I could have made the image a little clearer and sharper if I had not shook the pin-hole camera. Not only that, I could have been more careful when cutting the papers, to prevent less fingerprints. I could have aimed and place the camera at a stable place, or stick them with tape.

Through this activity, I've learnt how to be patient. It was tiring to stay in the darkroom and wait for chemicals to react.

Reflections:

I enjoyed doing pinhole photography and have learnt the simplest version of taking a photo. It was tiring walking in and out of the dark room, capturing images of our school with out tin can. I even tried to take an image of the school from the overhead bridge, but it was not successful. If I had the chance, I would definitely try it again. It was interesting to look out for special scenes around the school and try to create a unique perspective. Although taking just a photo and developing it would take such a long time, it was definitely worth it. I liked the moment when I see an image slowly appearing on the photographic paper in the developing chemical.

---

After the pin-hole activity, Mr Lim let us use his film camera to take some photos. We only had black & white film!

After going through this 2 activities, I realised it was pretty difficult to do black and white photography. Before that, I was not exposed to b&w photography. I thought the challenging part about b&w photography is that, it is not easy to capture the essence of the subject matter without colours because what we see with our eyes are colours. So it would take a lot of skill and experience to take a good b&w photograph that can show viewers what the photographer is trying to tell! Also, I feel that b&w photography makes things a little more dull and vintage..... and reminds me of times when there were only b&w televisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment