Sunday, September 25, 2011

Elena Kalis

Looking glass 7High Tea
Alice's Book
Alice's Somersault
Elena Kalis' series of underwater photographs, Alice in Waterland.

I've looked through Elena Kalis' photographs and I found this series extremely beautiful and dreamy. Taking photographs underwater makes her subject matter look softer, and it has a little floating effect. I think it is not easy to take photographs underwater because there are many things you cannot control underwater, like hair, clothes, and you would have to direct the model in what action to do and capture the right moment quickly before the model floats up. But I think that something beautiful that can be achieved through underwater photography are reflections and air bubbles in the water. These reflections and air bubbles adds effect to her photographs.
I have never really seen underwater photography like what Elena Kalis does, and I find it inspiring because it's a very unique style. Also, I like how Elena Kalis works with the environment, which is water in this case, and make her photographs beautiful by capturing the reflections and air bubbles underwater.
It made me interested in doing underwater photography but...... I do not have underwater photography equipments, waterproof cameras, so I guess I could try underwater photography out by using waterproof disposable film camera!

Photo credits:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sugarock/

No comments:

Post a Comment