Saturday, September 24, 2011

CD cover design

We had to do a CD cover design last year for our graphic design module. I picked the song "Hello, I love you" by Cory Monteith from Glee. This is the song!

I thought the song sounded a little disco and retro-ish. I don't really know what's the exact genre though!

This is the front cover. "Hello, I love you" is something you would say, so I placed the song title in a speech bubble that is formed by colourful circles. I used colourful circles since I thought the song sounded retro-ish. I also used a heart shape to replace 'o' in 'love' because I thought it'd look for interesting and cute! The song also had lots of repetitions of the song title "Hello, I love you", so I surrounded the speech bubble with repetitions of Hello, I love you in varying font sizes and in grey as it is the background.

For the back cover design, I made use of the same colourful circles and placed them cutting across the design and left the other side empty, only with the singer's name. It sort of creates a balance and I did not want to fill up the whole back cover design as it'd be too messy and cluttered. For the other side, I filled it up with the lyrics of the song in white/grey and varying font sizes as well, because it suits the feeling and rhythm of the song.

I also chose this particular font for the words because I felt that it looked slightly "old" and fit the song! I like how my design turned out to be, simple yet it is made up of many elements like colours, balance, proportion and emphasis.

1 comment:

  1. hi poh! i love the way you make use of colours to draw attention to the main text, even though everything is of the same font. I also like the way you crop off the text because I am the type who will initially 舍不得 crop off my artworks. For the back page, i would see "Hello" first instead of "Cory Monteith". Unless the focus is on the song title again, maybe you could make the artist's name stand out a little bit more? :')

    ReplyDelete